Friday, July 24, 2009

Parliamentary Question - 20 July 2009

Column 1006W

Jim Dobbin: To ask the Secretary of State for Health which (a) policy advisers, (b) special advisers, (c) other individuals and (d) other groups have provided advice to his Department on the subject of tranquillisers in the last two years; and what expertise each has to advise on that subject. [264896]

Gillian Merron: The Department is not aware of any advice given by policy advisers, special advisers, other individuals or advisory groups specifically in relation to tranquilisers. The Commission on Human Medicines, the UK Health Ministers’ independent safety experts and advisers, provides scientific advice on all medicines for human use before a product is given a marketing authorisation or if any post marketing safety issue arise.

Over the coming months the Department will be reviewing its policy on addiction to prescriptions and over the counter (OTC) drugs, including tranquilisers.

20 July 2009 : Column 1009W
This review will identify where and how policy should be advanced, so that those addicted to prescription or OTC drugs receive high quality, effective services.