Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Message from Jim Dobbin, Chair of APPGITA

The APPG was set up to raise awareness of Involuntary Tranquilliser Addiction and lobby for support from health service providers, local authorities and government.

In order to pursue our objectives we need more MPs to become involved with the APPG. I myself became involved in this issue by listening to the story of only one constituent, Rob Wilson from Rochdale who was withdrawing from Ativan lorazepam). MPs can become involved in an issue if they are lobbied by a constituent. You can lobby your MP in two ways:

1. Write to your MP at the House of Commons, Westminster, London, SWIA OAA.

2. Attend your MP's constituency surgery. Find out when and where the surgery is from your Town Hall's Information service and attend the surgery.

Involuntary Tranquilliser Addiction is an appropriate subject to bring to the attention of your MP. Your MP should support you in that there is no justification for the present situation. Tell your MP your own personal tranquilliser story and how you want things to change. If necessary make notes for your visit. You can refer your MP to the Early Day Motion and Parliamentary Questions that I have submitted to Parliament and which are available here on this website (see below).

The focus of our campaign at the moment is to lobby the Department of Health for specialised withdrawal services for Involuntary Tranquilliser Addiction to be provided throughout the country. As current or ex-tranquilliser addicts you may be disillusioned with politics and the way the system operates. However it is only through political action by MPs that we will be able to change things for the better. An MP will normally respond on an issue if lobbied by a constituent.

Jim Dobbin MP
Chair APPG
October 22, 2008

No comments: